Case Study - Oil Analysis , A Powerful Tool For Maintenance
A good doctor prescribes only after proper diagnosis likewise a maintenance person monitors all the vitals of his machine. Plant-wide reliability is achieved by proactively monitoring various indicators of oil.
By analyzing oil-following are accomplished:-
When your machines are going to fail?
Early detection of incipient machine failures?
When an oil change is required?
A better understanding of contamination levels?
Optimizing machine reliability at the lowest possible cost?
THREE CATEGORIES OF OIL ANALYSIS
WHAT IS ANALYSED
Physical and chemical properties of used oil
Fluid and machine destructive elements
Presence and identification of wear particles
WHAT OIL ANALYSIS CAN TELL:- YOUR ASSET CONDITION
New/ In Service
What oil analysis is telling
Root cause detection
Incipient (Early) Fault detection
Autopsy-learning from failure
Shapes of common wear Particles
Surface fatigue Particle
Corrosive Wear Particles
Red Iron Rust
Dark Metallo- Oxide
How to set viscosity Limits
- *Twice this amount for oils with VI improvers
- **Crankcase of limits based on cSt @100*c ; industrial oil based on cSt @ 40*c
Note : Severe Environment oils are at high risk for thermal and oxidative degradation .
Control Contamination Oil Dehydration and Filtration System
Contamination : Damaged Caused
Data Speaks For Itself :
Data From Elemental Analysis Dominate Most Oil Analysis Reports
- Know which questions you are trying to answer
- Know what the tests can tell you and how they can answer your questions
- Don’t neglect the other oil analysis checklist items.
- Always ensure all the machine and lubricant data is on the report
- Always ensure relevant historical data is reported, such as top- ups or failures.
- Always keep a new oil baseline for references
- Sample routinely and optimize the frequency
- Know the three categories of oil analysis, how they influence each other and their significance
Costs And Benefits – Critical Machine of an Oil Analysis Program
The approximate annual cost if a well-implemented Oil ANALYSIS PROGRAM –
0.2 To 2% of equipment value
Approximate annual benefits :
5-20% of equipment value
Oil filtration machine hydraulic oil filtration machine
Hydraulic Oil Filtration Service Hydraulic Depth Filters
Let's make something great together
Are you ready to save money ? Ask me anything about oil reclamation